- What is a pinch analysis?
Thermal energy often makes up a major share of total energy requirements. Utilizing in-process waste heat is, therefore, essential for improving energy efficiency. This is where pinch analysis is extremely useful. Engineers are able to find the optimal combination of different energy flows through pinch analysis with the goals of minimum total investment and energy costs. Then through strategic planning, the engineer(s) can derive measures for heat recovery and improved energy supply. Pinch analysis is also a valuable tool in the design of new plants and processes. Overall, there is potential to decrease primary energy requirements by 40%.
- What is the workflow of a pinch analysis?
First, the system boundary of the industrial process to be optimized is defined. Once the boundary is defined then data collection for balancing the different material flows begins. The collected data is entered into the PinCH software, which then calculates the theoretically possible energy targets and cost targets. Finally, a heat transfer network is developed, which forms the basis for heat recovery. More…
- How much does a PinCH license cost?
The PinCH 2.0 software can be purchased for attractive rates Die Software PinCH 2.0 kann zu attraktiven Konditionen erworben werden. Special conditions apply for use in teaching and/or research at universities, research institutes, etc. More...More…
- How long is the license valid for?
The PinCH license is valid indefinitely provided that a license for commercial use is purchased.
- Can a PinCH license be used on more than one station?
No, it is a single-user license. Single-user license means that the license can only be used on a particular computer. However, it can be transferred to another computer via a USB stick (e.g. from a desktop computer to a notebook or vice versa).
- What system and hardware requirements are necessary for PinCH 2.0?
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Processor: 1 GHz Pentium Processor (recommended)
- RAM: 4096 MB (recommended)
- Hard Disk: 25 MB
- Display: 1680 x 1050 high color, 32-bit (recommended)
- Does PinCH run on 64 bit stations?
- In which languages is the PinCH software available
The PinCH software is available in English. The tutorials can be downloaded in German and English.
- What prerequisites are required to be able to participate in a PinCH course?
Target Group: Professionals from the fields of process engineering, environmental engineering, power engineering and building engineering who are responsible for energy planning/management/sustainability/etc.; both from industrial and government sectors
Background Knowledge: Fundamentals of thermodynamics, power engineering and heat transfer
- How much does a PinCH course cost?
The Luzern University of Applied Sciences offers modular courses for different levels of expertise. You can find more information including the price of individual courses here.
- Does the Swiss Federal Office of Energy provide funding for Pinch analysis
The Swiss Federal Office of Energy (SFOE) provides financial support to individuals/groups performing a PinCH analysis.
Follow the link to see the terms and compensatory measures as dictated by the SFOE.